I have a huge archive of spam. I’m actually a little surprised, now, to see it’s about 450 megs. Today, I got a piece of spam with this incredible subject:
Today was pseudo-productive, like the rest of the week. I got a lot of concepts fleshed out, but no code written. I’m hoping that Friday I can get those concepts approved so that when I’m back from my exile I can really get to work. At the moment, just about all of our new business systems, save finance, are my responsibility. I plan, soon, to become drunk with a very moderate amount of power!
I fly out, Saturday, for my second exile of the year. I feel like it’s really crept up on me. Tomorrow I’ll be helping Brian move, but that shouldn’t take all day. After that, I’m hoping Gloria and I can chill out and do something fun and just be cool. Friday I’m working again, and then Saturday is mostly free until my flight. I’m flying out around 2100, so we don’t need to leave until the evening. If all goes well, I’ll sleep on the plane as much as possible and slip right into BST.
I’m always pleased to see people post their little twenty-line hacks on use.perl, following lines like, “I wanted to do X, but it was annoying to do manually, so I wrote this.” It’s really weird that I do that less and less as I become more of a coder and less of an admin. (Really, that change is pretty complete by now.) So, I’m trying to get back into the habit of writing little time-savers.
Work was so-so today. I got some stuff done, including some things that should, I hope, fix some pretty big problems. I also took on another pretty massive project, but I feel good about my ability to make it work. I need to put together a little overview about what projects fit where in the big picture. I think there’s some confusion, even on the part of my boss. I know it’s because I haven’t bothered being really clear about how I think everything should work. In the end, nobody really needs to care but the coders. We’re the only ones who’ll see the dotted lines separating the projects.
I was really annoyed to find that my Bryar patch, for passing config objects instead of Bryar objects around, was nowhere to be found. I recoded the changes, then immediately found the patch. That’s life.
So, I complained that Bryar isn’t making my life full of roses and cherries. A large part of that is my own fault, I will admit. The problem, in summary, is something like, “Bryar takes care of all the hard stuff, but now I need to write all the easy stuff!” I had written a DataSource and Document class, but they were pretty hacky. So, my blogging experience has been meh. Also, I’ve been using WikiFormat, but only sort of. I really want Mint, but I didn’t want to wait or to implement it myself, so WikiFormat was a reasonable alternative. It was just annoying, in a few ways, and didn’t map everything I wanted.
I’ve been sick. I still feel pretty meh and tired. I’ll update this more later. For now: