Yesterday, I released perl v5.36.0. I think this is the most exciting release of perl in quite some time, and I’m hoping that in a few months, I’ll still be as pleased with it as I am today. Here’s a summary of what we got done, what we didn’t get done, and (to some extent) how it got done.
This is not a long paean for mutt or Fastmail, although I’m a big fan of both. It’s more of a Stupid Mutt Trick.
In 2004 or so I wrote Rubric, which was initially intended to be a bookmark manager, and then I added notes to it, and then it very quickly became the software powering my blog. It’s pretty crufty under the hood, being built in CGI::Application, which was a nice web framework in 2004, but never really modernized in the ways I would’ve liked.
I am widely admired at work for my ability to have many, many browser tabs open. (That, at least, is what I take from the frequent shouts of “holy cow, man, look at your browser!”) Nonetheless, I have long thought that it would be worth getting my total tab count down. I have tabs open for a bunch of reasons.
When I upgrade my perl, which I do pretty often, the first thing I do is
install Task::BeLike::RJBS (by
cpanm rjbs). This installs most of the stuff I’m going to need to do
my normal work. Over time, I tend to find that it needs an update, because
over the course of the last year or so I started using some new libraries that
didn’t get into the bundle. (This will happen less now that I’m using the
monthly blead snapshots day to day again, but it’s a real thing.)
I have quite a few Perl software libraries available on the CPAN. I’ve written these at different points over the last twenty years, but almost all of them, until pretty recently, were written to support perl v5.8, which was released about 18 years ago. Perl v5.10 took almost four years to come out after v5.8. It had some teething problems, and then v5.12 took another three years.
Just the other day, I wrote about my little git branch manager tool. I use it to make sure I know what branches I have lying around, and to delete branches that have already been merged. I wrote the post because I had updated the code to work on more kinds of respository.
Like a lot of people, I have not been great at cleaning up my old git branches over time. Sometimes they get merged but I don’t delete them. (The “delete branch after merge” option in GitLab and GitHub help, but they’re not 100%). Sometimes I forget I even had a branch, because I never filed a pull request. Also, with all those already-merged branches lying around, it’s easy to overlook the not-even-requested branches, especially if I haven’t touched them in a while.
Hey, I’m finally writing another post about things I did on my week off in August!
With a lot of PTO hours piled up, leave accounting somewhat in flux at work, and MoMA incredibly closed until October, I resolved to take some time off from work, during which I would stay home and work on stuff that I’d been ignoring. For example, my big queue of “conference presentations to watch” and my backlog of articles to read, personal coding projects to poke at, some little quality-of-life fixes to my home setup. Then, of course, I also wanted to do some actually fun things: hang out with my family, have some nice meals, watch some movies, go to a museum or two, and so on.