Ever wonder how much of our programming style is dictated by our desire to see the right pretty colors? In Perl, I think it’s a good bit.
I feel like I’m living in Brazil. No, not the nation, the film.
I work for Pobox. We provide identity management. For the most part, it’s about email. You register an email address with us and we handle the mail for you. We send it to an IMAP store, or your current ISP, or some flash in the pan webmail provider like Google. We do other things, though, like web and URL redirection. It’s about managing services that relate to your identity.
I’ve uploaded a new Email::MessageID, version 1.400. It has two major
improvements. First, the result of its
new method is now an Email::MessageID
object, where it was previously an Email::Address object(!). This means that
it can now have its own message-id-specific methods. It has one:
in_brackets. This is a very common mistake:
One of the earliest libraries I wrote for Pobox is ICG::CLI. It makes it easy
to write CLI programs by tying together Getopt::Long::Descriptive with some
common options (like help and verbose) and a few bits of code to make them
work. So, you got three routines,
yell, which were
printf, but respected the verbose and quiet flags. (This got refactored
into Log::Speak, which I don’t think was ever released. Oh well.)
Only a few weeks after reading in the Sunday Times that The Castle and the Trial were “Kafkaesque,” today, CNN has this headline:
Wow. I was looking at Wikipedia’s article on Goldfish crackers recently (don’t ask) and I saw an amazing fact. In “some regions of Canada” one can acquire salt and vinegar goldfish crackers.
I got to feeling like maybe JSON Schema was not yet firm enough to give up on, and that maybe I could help improve it in the areas where Rx’s design made more sense. I made one or two very minor suggestions that were accepted, but the most important area was not addressed. You can read more about it at the Google Groups thread.
For a few days now I’ve felt really unproductive, but also unenthused about any of the work I had in front of me. Today, I managed to get one thing done, though: I reconfigured Code Simply’s git setup to use gitosis.
Last night at ABE.pm, I was talking a little bit with The Gang about some of the things I came to believe while doing the same thing in multiple languages. In explaining some of the issues I have with Ruby, both the scope of variables and the resolution of methods, this example came to me: