(Where’s day -1? Well, I left home on the 18th (day -2) and got to Tokyo on the 19th (day -1), but since I didn’t sleep between the two, they formed one virtual day for me. Day -1 was lost, like tears in the rain.)
YAPC::Asia starts on August 20th with “day zero,” with a talks that didn’t make the main two days. I probably won’t be there for much of that, since it’s mostly Japanese content. Despite two prior YAPCs in Tokyo, I still can’t understand Japanese. Go figure!
At work recently moved from our own office space to a coworking space. Bryan said, “remember to lock you laptop screen when you’re not using it.” I said, “I use Mobile Mouse so I can lock it with a hot corner from across the room.”
I am always baffled by the neverending stream of remarks of the form, “you people are playing D&D wrong.” Here’s one that particularly bugged me, today:
I use temporary files pretty often. There are a bunch of ways to do this, and File::Temp is probably the most popular. It’s pretty good, but also pretty complicated. A big part of this complication is that it’s meant to keep your filename around until you’re done with it, and to let you pick its name and location. Often, though, I don’t need these features. I just need a place to stream a whole bunch of data that I’ll seek around in later, or maybe just stream back out. In other words, instead of holding a whole lot of data in memory, put it in a file.
I’ve been doing more puttering about with perl6 lately. One of my chief complaints has been that the repl is pretty lousy, keyboard-wise. There’s no history, so I do a lot of copy and paste, and there’s no way to move left non-destructively. If you notice a typo at the beginning of your line, you’re stuffed.
Recently I wrote about my dumb CPAN metafile analyzer, and how I’d tried to keep it fast. One of the things I tried to speed it up was creating a ramdisk for all of the archive extraction. The speed boost in this case turned out to be low, but it isn’t always. (Also, I inexplicably used a journaling filesystem .) When you’re doing a ton of file operations, the difference between physical storage and in-memory can be huge.
Just about exactly five years ago, I wrote a goofy little program that walked
through all of the CPAN and produced a CSV file telling me what was used to
produce most dists. That is: it looked at the
generated_by field in the META
files and categorized them. Here’s what the first report, from April 11, 2010,
I spent last week in Berlin, at the 2015 Perl QA Hackathon. This is an annual event where a group of various programmers involved with the “CPAN toolchain” and closely related projects get together, hash out future plans, write code that is hard to get written in “free time,” and communicate in person the hard that is stuff to communicate over IRC and email.