I’ve made a rough checklist of all the things I need to write proper tests for. This will only get me unit tests, and integration tests will then be an ongoing effort, due to the many possible configurations I will want to test for.
Guess what I worked on today in Dist::Zilla? Logging! I’m beginning to think I may have a logging-tweaking addiction.
In short, there was just too much copy and paste. It wasn’t really trivial, either. Here’s an example of code that appeared in both Pod::Weaver::Role::Plugin and Dist::Zilla::Role::Plugin:
The last 24 hours or so have been really busy. Today was Martha’s third
birthday (wow, can you believe it?) and I’ve had a number of incredibly
annoying bugs at work. I won’t get into the details right now but one of them
was an MSIE bug that I solved by
\uXXXX-only double-JSON-encoding a
structure. The other was fixed by disabling Etag headers. Blaaaagh!
I feel like I’m making enough progress, right now, to make a grant update every day. I don’t know how long this will last, but I’m glad that it’s going so well, so far.
I’ve been continuing to work on adding improved logging capabilities to Dist::Zilla. They’re not going to be terribly complex, but I’m trying to make sure that they’re easy to use, and that they lend themselves to sane default output and useful debugging output. Yesterday, I realized that these lines were really annoying:
We recently got a new HDTV. Our old TV was a standard definition 34” (or so) CRT. It was about 12 years old, but still worked perfectly. The issue was just that having been forced to get an HT TiVo and upgrade to digital TV, I started to resent all the HD programming that I was watching in SD. Also, I saw my buddy Pez’s Xbox on an HDTV and that was pretty cool.
I haven’t written anything about programming in a long time, now. I stopped when I was work on my Advent calendar and never really got back to writing in my journal. I’m still doing plenty of coding, I’m just not writing about it here much.
In January, I ordered an Xbox 360 Play & Charge Kit from Amazon. It’s a NiMH battery pack with a USB cable to connect the controller (also a charger) to the Xbox. It arrived a few days later. While the cable would power the controller, its “charging” light wouldn’t come on and it didn’t seem to be charging the controller. The kit came with a piece of paper that said, “In case of problems, do not return! Contact Microsoft!”