I’ve been playing Dungeons and Dragons off and on since I was in elementary school. I remember my brother’s collection of carefully painted miniatures, although mostly I remember the ochre jelly. I’ve been writing computer programs for almost as long. Both hobbies have had large gaps in continuity, but they’re still things I like and things that get a lot of my time.
It’s been nearly two months since my last update on writing new method resolvers in Perl, and not much has happened. I was very disheartened to learn that while it was easy (for some value of “easy”) to make this work:
I’ve been using Dropbox (that’s a referral link, but they’re free) for a good while now. It’s a online storage service that syncs folders online with other computers. Your file is local and in the cloud and on all your other synchronized computers. It is also very, very fast, and runs on Win32, OS X, and x86 Linux. I use it for a bunch of stuff, including synchronizing my notes on my D&D game.
I write software for a living, and because some of it powers publicly available services, I have real people bitching about it, so I try my best not to just rant furiously about software. I know there are people behind it.
I’ve pushed some changes to the Dist::Zilla
repository to implement a simple first-pass
at autonumbering of versions. After careful consideration – one might say
pathological consideration – I have set the default format to
x is an arbitrary integer,
yyDDD is the two digit year and the three digit
day of year and 0 is literal.
About two weeks ago, Max reported a bug with Email::MIME::Encoding related to its handling of QP and line breaks. QP and line breaks provide a totally insane problem that I talk about in my upcoming OSCON talk. It’s a mess.
I have been obsessing over how to number versions since I first started writing code for a living, around 2000. Nothing is satisfactory. I’d really like to make a decision and stick to it across all my code, and I’m pretty close to doing that.
I am an idiot.
I really wanted to do some new talks this year, but no really spectacular new ideas seemed like good ones to promise. I think “Email Still Hates the Living!” will have to wait for next year. Instead, I submitted a new talk on Rx, a talk on various new email libraries released in the last year, and my long-threatened intro to git, “Git is Easy!”
Rx is my schema system for validating data in a highly extensible and portable way. It is in the same problem space as JSON Schema and Kwalify (both of which, I think, Rx exceeds), and close to RELAX NG. I wrote it last summer, and I’ve used it quite a bit since then, and I have not been unhappy with it… except for its error reporting.