Horror Movie Month 2012
Horror Movie Month 2012 is done! Thirty-one movies in thirty-one days! (We missed one day but watched two on another.)
I think this year’s crop was much better than last year’s, although Gloria doesn’t seem convinced. Of the batch, I’d only recommend a few:
- Stake Land was nothing special, but I’m a sucker for post-apocalypse.
- Brain Damage was a weird exploitation movie that I really enjoyed for no very clear reason. It was made by the maker of the Basket Case movies, which I also liked.
- The Stepfather wasn’t great, but I liked Terry O’Quinn — and why wouldn’t I?
- Phase 7 was enjoyable, mostly because the protagonist was such a normal schmoe.
- Apollo 18 had its merits, and I enjoyed it, but it really didn’t buy into its own “found footage” conceit.
- Murder Party was almost certainly the best of the bunch. It was pure fun.
- Silent Hill: Revelation was good, if you like that sort of thing. I do.
- Doghouse was fun, too, but made me think of Shaun of the Dead too often.
I think the worst of show goes to Transylvania 6-5000. Ugh.
The Whole List
October 1: Zombies of Mass Destruction
October 2: Stake Land
October 3: Paranormal Activity 3
October 4: Brain Damage
October 5: The Messengers
October 6: Ghoulies
October 7: House
October 8: Ghoulies Ⅱ
October 9: Duel
October 10: Diagnosis: Death
October 11: No movie! I was at a concert by the Mountain Goats.
October 12: The Stepfather
October 13: Ginger Snaps
October 14: Rabid
October 15: Phase 7
October 16: Transylvania 6-5000
October 17: Apollo 18
October 18: Murder Party
October 19: The Collector, but it was so bad that we switched to the American Horror Story: Asylum premier
October 20: The Monster Squad
October 21: The Car
October 22: Dead Alive
October 23: Brainscan
October 24: The Woman in Black
October 25: Messengers 2
October 26: The Burning
October 27: Hatchet Ⅱ
October 28: Silent Hill: Revelation 2D, Doghouse
October 29: Dance of the Dead
October 30: The Substitute
October 31: ThanksKilling