testing work on Dist::Zilla to begin

Guess what I worked on today in Dist::Zilla? Logging! I’m beginning to think I may have a logging-tweaking addiction.

Actually, the logging changes I made were quite minor. Most of today’s work was in re-documenting Getopt::Long::Descriptive, which was only tangentially related to Dist::Zilla – but it was pretty sorely needed.

The big win in the final(?) set of logging changes is that I can now enable debugging logs per-plugin, or just for the core Dist::Zilla library, or globally. For example:

$ dzil build -v
[ absolutely all debugging output ]

$ dzil build -v PodWeaver
[ normal logging, plus debug output from PodWeaver plugin ]

$ dzil build -v PodWeaver -v AllFiles
[ normal logging, plus debug output from PodWeaver and AllFiles plugins ]

$ dzil build -v -
[ normal logging, plus debug output from Dist::Zilla core behavior ]

As I write tests, I will be adding a lot more debugging output, and getting at just the debugging output I want will be (I predict) extremely useful. I improved the way I access log messages when testing, which should be similarly helpful. Finally, I added a means to suppress the logging of fatal messages to selected output streams, meaning that log_fatal no longer prints the error message and then dies with it.

I did make one other quick addition: I added a new dzil nop command, which does nothing but initialize the Dist::Zilla object. This makes it easy to run:

$ dzil nop -v

…and see all the “plugin foo (package v1.23) online” messages.

Tomorrow, assuming I can stay awake, I’ll probably start getting to work on writing useful tests. If I had remembered that daylight saving changes tonight, I would’ve gone to bed earlier!

Written on March 14, 2010
🦖 distzilla
🐪 perl
🧑🏽‍💻 programming