Dist::Zilla much more tested, but much less releaseable

I’ve added a bunch more tests to Dist::Zilla as I try to work through my checklist of plugins to cover. Some have been easier than I expected, but I’ve found myself in a bit of a predicament.

Right now, things like the PodWeaver are very aggressive in figuring out what to rewrite. They even rewrite things like tests. That means that the tests work in my working copy, but fail in the built version of the dist. I could work around this by storing all the not-to-be-rewritten files in a tarball inside the dist, but the right answer is really to get to work on the “named file finder plugins” that was part of the grant work. This will let me target only files to be installed, which should solve this problem nice.

Strangely enough, the Dist::Zilla IRC channel has been hopping lately, and I’m getting quite a few requests for changes – many of which I already want to make. It’s been frustrating to keep saying, “It has to wait until I finsih tests!” but I know I’ll be happy to have a test suite I can use to ensure I haven’t broken everything, as I add more features in the future.

Written on March 20, 2010
distzilla   perl   programming