coding and confusion
Today wasn’t my best day for coding. On the bus in I got password recovery on Rubric working. That is, if you forget your password you can jump through some hoops to get a new one. It’s not quite working yet, though, and I didn’t feel like working on it this evening. Frankly, it’s not a feature I care about much, as I can just update the database. Some other users, though, want to be able to do this, and it seems like a useful request. It’s at least given me some reasons to do some refactoring (and some work on Rubric, in general), and that’s good.
At work, I made a number of really boneheaded and strange mistakes. Three times I caused stupid errors by reversing pretty obvious things. First, I did something like “if spam, count as ham; if not spam, count as spam.” Then, “if true, false; else, if false, true.” Finally, “quotient = denomenator / numerator.”
If I was replying to Andy’s blog, I’d say something like, “I’ve learned that I need to be more mindful of seemingly trivial lines in my code, especially when that code takes an hour to produce test results.”